Today is just an update on my life. It is busy. If this blog had a second tagline, I could make it, "Brendan has 1000 things he could/should be doing, but instead he is blogging." I'll leave it as is for now.
The title of the post indicates that recently I have been tasked with some new leadership opportunities at UC. The one I am most enthusiastic about is being elected President of Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity. With over 100 men and women, all aspiring professionals I am confident will have fantastic careers, I feel truly honored to have been selected to lead the organization during my tenure for the next year.
If you, my lovely select few readers, know anything about my style of leadership, you will know this about me: If I am elected to a position, I owe it to the person or people I ran against to work harder and better than they would had they been elected. That principle has kept me focused throughout my time in student organizations in college, and has brought me to this point. In this case, however, the two folks that I beat out for this position are among some of the best student leaders I've ever met. But I have nevertheless resolved to the best I can by the organization that chose me.
So what am I actually doing? Well, if you ask that question as a business student, keep reading, maybe I'll convince you to join Delta Sigma Pi. If you ask as a member of a local business, large or small, keep reading, maybe I'll convince you to partner with us. Otherwise, keep reading because it might be more interesting than whatever work you have to do right now.
Here's what we're up to:
- Our new executive board is made up of 15 fantastic individuals, all of whom are working together to create the best ROI for every member of the fraternity, whether that be through professional headshots for members' LinkedIn profiles, a place in our soon to be hot commodity resume book, or new and exciting social activities combines with professional development.
- Our corporate sponsorship window is now open, which means that companies in the Cincinnati area can focus on utilizing our chapter to help them achieve their recruiting and branding goals if related to the University of Cincinnati, while DSP gets a bit of extra funding. Our feelers are out right now and if you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please reach out to email@example.com
- We just began a Campus Branding Initiative. We have appointed a new Director position to focus on Campus Public Relations to further our name outside of the LCB.
- We are cultivating young talent. Bringing in almost 50 new members last year, we have more brothers than ever, and we are doing everything possible to develop them into consummate business professionals.
- New community service initiatives will keep our efforts in the Clifton community. This is a proud, diverse neighborhood, but there is much to be done. We are planning a large Burnett Woods Cleanup for the Fall.
- Grand Chapter Congress is this August in Seattle, and myself and one other brother will be attending to vote on national bylaws and elected officials.
- 90th Anniversary of Alpha Theta is next school year! In 2014, we turn 90, and will be having a big celebration for brothers, alumni, corporate sponsors, parents, central office staff, faculty, and friends of the chapter.
Check out our website for more details on who we are as an organization, if you're interested.
Thanks for reading,